Sunday, March 25, 2007

stupid, STupid, STUPID!

Last night, on row 58, as I started the underarm decreases of my Pea Pod Baby sweater, I realized that I had 12 too many stitches. I must have counted the stitches 10 times and could not believe that I kept getting 147 when I should have had 135. I put it on a long Knit Picks Options chord, set it aside, and used my stress relief device.

I just couldn't figure out how I ended up with 12 extra stitches. It must have been an evil knitting sprite who changed my knitting while I slept. I checked my numbers again this morning - just in case the good fairy had come and changed it back - but still there were 12 extra stitches. There was nothing to do but start over. I did leave the 58 rows on the chord - someday I will finish the sweater as a larger size, or I will need the yarn and frog it. After the 7th row of my "start-over" I realized my mistake. In the 3rd row of the ribbing there is a yarn over - in the 7th row you knit a section of stitches out of order and KNIT 2 TOGETHER. Guess how many times this happens? That's right - 12! Somehow during my first attempt I didn't do the knit 2 togethers. The only thing that is keeping me knitting is knowing how much faster attempt two will be with 12 fewer stitches in every row. That's 612 fewer stitches! WOW!






I did have a lot of fun at Sit N’ Knit Crochet today. Forbes Magazine is doing a story about Meetup.com and a reporter and photographer came to our meetup. Here is a picture of the photographer and Chante taking a picture of the Meetup.com themed name tag that I knit.

8 comments:

Annie said...

Dang girl, you are such a rock star! Podcasts, Forbes mag, YH, who knew that the little nametag would bring on so much celebrity? ROCK ON! :-)

Harlem Purl said...

I like how most of us have on green in your picture.

Don't you hate those darn knitting sprites?

gail said...

Oh dear, 12 stitches too many. How those random yarn overs and failures to decrease happen is beyond me!!! Can you drop down to those mistakes rather than rip out the entire thing??
Congrats on the stardom.

Dame Wendy said...

Annie's right, you're a total rock star. :)

(I once did that same thing to a shawl, kept on adding stitches, and didn't notice till I was ready to bind off and had this like 12 foot long shawl. good times.)

Debbie said...

Sit & Knit is getting some press, go us! Don't you just hate it when the knitting fairies mess you up? But you're right, less stitches = faster knitting :o)

Unknown said...

OK. this is getting ridiculous. I have GOT to learn to knit...just enough that when I meet your friends they won't think I'm a total loser. Does my cross stitch count? Did I tell you about how I was talking to a girl I know in Chicago about you and she said "She should move here, the knitting scene is hot". So cool.
you are doing such cool stuff. I'm so proud of you sister!
love love love you

HPNY KNITS said...

yarn harlot and Forbes in the same week! baby you are going places!
for a baby sweater, I would have dec evenly 12 across the row. NO ONE would have been the wiser!
I love "mindless knitting", but it can lead you astray. I am having this problem with lace.

Dame Wendy said...

I'll definitely let you know about going to the yarn shops. :) I'm a chronic internet yarn buyer. :)

Also, if you could email me (wendydorrel@gmail.com) with your ideas, we should chat about the podcast. :)

Later gator!