Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Should I be mad?


I am really mad, but I want your opinion. At a yarn store today (which will remain un-named until I am able to see what their perspective is on this) I bought one skein of sock yarn. I know that I should have looked at the yardage, but they told me that one skein would knit a pair of socks. Actually one girl in the shop said it should knit a pair of socks and "a little something". I really love this colorway - and it is perfect for my secret feet - but the skein cost $21, about the amount that I would spend on yarn for a pair of socks. After winding the skein at home I was able to properly examine the label (the way in was stapled on the skein made it impossible to read all of the information) and came to two horrible realizations.

#1) It is only 267 yards/ 292 meters. This is not enough for a pair of socks.

#2) On a part of the label that I could not see until after I had removed it said:
"Colinette yarns are all hand dyed and therefore colours may vary from hank to hank to achieve an even colour effect it is essential to work with more than one hank at a time. Try working 2-4 rows from each hank, carrying the yarn up the side."

What? What? I cannot imagae knitting a sock this way! And it is not meant for a skein to knit a pair of socks - you need two skeins!

I called the store and left a message. I know that they don't take back skeins after they are wound, but I feel like these are difficult sercumstances.
What would you do, or expect the store to do?

Oh, the good news is I am not going the Texas, the bad news is I am not going to Texas!
(After two days of waiting by the phone, the phone interview never even happened.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this Colinette Jitterbug? If it is, you're in the clear. I've knit two male feet-sized socks from one skein even though the skein looked small. If it's not Jitterbug, then I don't know what to tell you other than perhaps you should be REALLY mad!

Penelope

Harlem Purl said...

I was gonna say somthing along the lines of what Penelope said. Before you jump to conclusions, I would do a search on other blogs and see if anyone has made a pair of adult socks with just one skein of that yarn. In some instances, 267 yards may be enough for a pair of socks.

As far as the alternating skeins thing, Wabi Sabi. Do you really care if your socks are a tiny bit fraternal? Do they have to be exact twins? You never know what the yarns gonna look like until you knit it. OK, I think I've overstayed my welcome, so I'll just leave you to ponder on that.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what store this is, but I had the same problem. I would take that ish right back, and demand an exchange at the very least. For real, even if it means unwinding that ish on your niddy noddy and sending it back unwound.

As far as Penelope and Chante, I gotta respectfully disagree. There is no reason why 2hunned oddwhat yards should cost $21. I've spoken to yarn store owners about this and they all basically said Colinette said one pair of socks can be made from that. Me, I have big boats, and refuse to even waste my time trying.

BTW, what size needle were you going to use?

Necia