Thursday, March 15, 2007

So much better!

I bought a skein of Colinette JitterBug yarn yesterday. I love the colorway, castagna - it feels really nice - and I was excited .... until I had it in a nonreturnable ball and I really had to: The skein is less than 300 meters! None of my sock patterns call for less than 350! OOOOOH I WAS MAD. I left a message at the yarn store, even though they were closed to inquire about what could be done. Since nothing else could be accomplished until morning I took a while drinking a "Chick-a-lobe" and enjoying the wonderful aroma of my new Eucalyptus Spearmint Scentport refill.

The owner of Downtown Yarns called me this morning and was genuinely kind. She assured me that many people had knit a pair with the skein, just as the manufacturer promised. Well, lets clarify, Colinette says that you can knit the pair of socks on the back of their label, which is just a plain stockinette sock - not for me thank you. The women told me to start knitting and if I ran into any problems to please let her know.
Downtown Yarns is now officially my favorite LYS in NYC.

Once my pity party ended I grabbed my
Barbara G. Walker "A Treasury of knitting Patterns". I decided to stick with Chapter Five: Slip Stitch Patterns, since they would most likely use the least yarn.

For attempt one I knit the "Diagonal Weave" - after charting to be knit in the round, rather than flat I thought it look ... okay. But like most things in Bon Appetit I just don't want to make the whole thing - let alone two. So I moved on to the "Little Butterfly", and my And for the close up .... Oh, and special thanks to Blogless Penelope (hint, hint) and Chante for their advice. And thank you Necia for raging with me! (Oh, I'm knitting with size ones)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just make the socks a little shorter on the ankle...kind of a summer sock!!

I am glad you are not going to Texas. Something else will come up. but for the meantime you are here!! Yay!!

HPNY KNITS said...

smaller needles eat more yarn. glad we'll get to see you here.