Sunday, April 15, 2007

Somewhere in Kabul....

... my knitting is keeping a little girl's feet warm!


Two months ago I knit these Mystery Cable socks for Afghans for Afghans. A woman named Marsha took the socks with her to two schools she works with in Kabul, Afghanistan.

I just received this e-mail update from Afghans for Afghans:

"Marsha MacColl has returned from Kabul, where she distributed our wool socks to students at two schools operated by Afghans 4 Tomorrow. We can all be so pleased and proud of Marsha. She did a phenomenal job of conveying our messages of friendship, caring, and respect. Marsha creatively incorporated our socks in her English-language instruction, and we provided funds so she could purchase snack treats as part of a little celebration. Marsha distributed our gifts with tremendous personal attention and regard for both the students and the sock-knitters! The girls and boys were given the unusual experience of selecting what they wanted from the array of socks. These kids absolutely needed socks -- often their feet are bare when they remove their shoes in the classroom. Marsha kindly shared some larger socks with teachers and school staff, too.We'll tell you more about these experiences and provide some photos in the near future. Thank you, again, to all who responded to the needs of the Afghan Mobile Mini Circus and Afghans 4 Tomorrow. There are plenty of warmer and happier heads and feet now -- and all of our hearts are warmer, too!"

My heart is warmer too! There were tears rolling down my cheeks while I pictured a little girl picking out my socks! I read a great post on Knitting Knews a while back, that gave very valid reasons for not knitting for charity. It really made me think about why I enjoy it so much. I have come to the conclusion that the knitting is just as much for me as is for them.

I will smile often, thinking of those little pink socks on warmer feet in Kabul!

They are currently excepting items for the "Mother's Day Campaign for Afghan Mothers."
I am going to knit something and send it in honor of my mother as her Mother's Day present. (Mom, I doubt you are reading this, but if you are, promise to be surprised and honored, okay?)

6 comments:

HPNY KNITS said...

these socks turned out great! I'd love to find the pattern. its so clever. I think you are right- knitting for charity is knitting for us we HAVE to knit and after all- how pairs f socks a person can have.....
but seriously- I think its great and connects us to people everywhere.

Anonymous said...

And someone in Kabul not only has new socks, but new byooo-ti-ful socks!

Penelope

Debbie said...

So cool, you should be so proud of yourself. Don't you just get that warm fuzzy feeling when you do something like this? I agree with Hila, half the fun in knitting is the process and you know that when you give your hand knit to a charity it is so appreciated!

Unknown said...

I love you so much. you have such a kind wonderful heart. imagine a littl e so thrilled that she got to have a pink pair. I love that both of us are so involved in this part of the world. you are such a kick ass sister!

Mary, Mary... said...

Good for you! I love your line about feeling like a ninja knitting a sleeve on 2 circs--me, too. (except I haven't finished that sweater yet, ugh) Glad your sister is feeling much better--lol.

nicolina said...

yeah you! knitting for others, especially for charity, is such a giving testament of you as a person. rock on with your knitting self! hopefully i'll see you on saturday!