Friday, April 27, 2007

The Blind Assasin Stole

I am writing this post as I wait for a phone interview for a 13 week job assignment in Caribou, Maine. Knitting needles are crossed.

According to Wikipedia - "The reindeer, known as caribou when wild in North America, is an Arctic and Subarctic-dwelling deer (Rangifer tarandus)." I have been having an extremely hard time finding an Ultrasound job - how great would it be if a reindeer helped me get this job! Caribou, Maine is also not far from Montreal, which after a quick Google search appears to have many yarn stores! If I have to go Subarctic to work - much better in the Spring and Summer!


A while back I read The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. There is a story within the story which is told by a young man to his lover during their clandestine encounters. It is complicated, so I will just give the relevant detail. The location where the story takes place is known for their beautiful hand-woven carpets. The carpets are so intricate that they can only be woven by children - small nimble hands. The children eventually go blind because of the intricate work the carpets require. The value of the carpets are determined by the number of children who went blind while weaving them. I have begun a project that I will be calling: The Blind Assassin Stole. The pattern is the Print O' the Wave Stole designed by Eunny Jang. I decided I wanted to do the cobweb version. I ordered a cone of lilac silk/cashmere "yarn" from ColourMart Cashmere. This is why I call it "yarn". Okay it is literally thread. Luscious cashmere/silk thread - but thread. I ended up winding it triple - and although it adds another challenge to the knitting, it is worth it. (That is my favorite coffee mug - I got it this summer while on vacation in the Adirondacks at Blue Mountain Designs - it's hand thrown.)



Phone interview update: It is now 5:30 p.m. and I have not heard from Leslie in Caribou who will be interviewing me over the phone. I called Jennifer, my contact at Ardor Health, and she told me to hang in there, Leslie should be calling today. It is going to be a long weekend if she does not call today.

Eunny's pattern calls for size 00 needles for the cobweb version and I ended up getting size 000 - since I was able to buy them at my favorite LYS - Downtown Yarns. That's the size 000 on the left as compared with a size 1 on the right. I know it is crazy - but look how crazy beautiful it looks (and it's not even blocked yet)!



OOOH! AAAAH! It is worth it! And it feels so light and soft. I tried taking a picture while stretching it out with my hands but I cannot do it myself, I'll have one at the next update. Oh, and in case you were wondering this is going to be for me!

5:50 p.m.: Still no call - outlook getting dimmer.

I finished the Lenten Rose socks and gave them to a very pleased Allison.
I gave them to her before a performance of Transfigures at The Woman's Project. I couldn't get her to put them on there and since I haven't heard from her, I can only assume that they fit.

6:05 p.m.: Still no call - have started drinking!

9 comments:

Code Purl said...

Good luck on your job prospect. I'm sure they'll call you next week. Fridays are always such hectic days. I'll help by having a drink for you tonight ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hope you got the call!! It would be so cool if you were in Maine while I am in New Hampshire!! Right next door!

Love the lilac lace...

Penelope said...

See--I do want to be just like you! I was thinking about casting on for the same stole! But not in in cobweb yarn--this loose knitter would have to knit using rays of light or something. Good luck with the Maine thing--I would come visit you when you set up the knitting retreat with felting washer, blocking deck, and dyeing dishwasher...

Anonymous said...

I was at work today, stuffing envelopes, and I really laughed out loud thinking of you going blind while making your shawl. Just the way you mentioned it to me. I love the thought of your silk and cashmere planet. Maybe if you meet a genie, it can happen. I hate that that company didn't call you today! I hope that they call on Monday. Can't wait to see the various stages of it.

Harlem Purl said...

Hope all goes well with the interview. They say that your needles get smaller the more you knit. I guess your living proof then, huh?

Dame Wendy said...

Your stole is going to be amazing! I hope they called. If not, don't fret! :)

Unknown said...

i love you sister. and the book was amazing.

Unknown said...

I LURV LURVE MY SOCKS!!! YOU ARE THE BEST - they are PERFECT and fit my big ole size 11s perfectly!!! thank you thank you thank you! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may commense to get income with a sum that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'll be glad to share my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]